[tlinux-users 00558] Re: Troubles with my 5200 PS522C-XK00P with ubuntu

Danyl Strype strypey at disintermedia.net.nz
Sun Jul 17 09:55:12 JST 2011

Kia ora

On the topic of hardware requirements, I am running 11.04 on a netbook
that only has a 1.6Ghz Atom and 1GB RAM. Unlike MS, Ubuntu are very
conservative with their minimum hardware requirements (in my
experience you really need at least twice the "minimum hardware" to
run any version of Windows usably, with Ubuntu it's more like the
opposite).

I would recommend running newer version with GNOME desktop rather than
the Unity desktop that is standard from 11.04 on though.

Good luck
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"freedom is participation in power.”
- Cicero

"Allowing the university to be turned into the tool of business is
allowing it to be corrupted."
Richard Stallman
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/Stallman.xml

"The content industry has done a good job convincing the world that
the internet will enable what they call 'piracy' That has obscured the
fact that the internet will also enable an extraordinary potential for
creativity. And it has obscured the fact that the weapons they use to
eradicate 'piracy' will also destroy the environment for this
'creativity.' They spray DDT to kill a gnat. We say: 'Silent Spring.'"
_Lawrence Lessig
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/digitalmedia/lessig.htm