[tlinux-users 00326] Disabling Intel Boot Agent (SS SX 490NK)

Mike B. mb78aa at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 26 19:45:34 JST 2009

Hi All,

Using a Toshiba SS SX 490NK (this is the Japanese model. The Western equivalent model seems to be Portege 3000):

http://japan.cnet.com/review/product...k-ss-sx-490nk/

On boot it first runs an `Intel Boot Agent GE 1.2.31' which seems to do nothing but takes 20-30 seconds so I want to disable it.

Intel has a webpage on the boot agent: http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-008018.htm

It provides a IBAUTIL.EXE file to control the boot agent but only if it is not embedded in the BIOS.

My question is: can I safely disable this boot agent, and if so how?.
The BIOS is a Toshiba (so I'm not sure if the Intel file is suitable
and may even damage the laptop BIOS).

I'm attaching the output of `dmidecode' giving the laptop's BIOS info.

Thanks,

Mike.