[tlinux-users 00237] Re: L300 status re wifi and sound???

Fred Erickson frederickson at iname.com
Thu Nov 13 14:19:34 JST 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 17:57 +0100, daka wrote:
> It has been a while since I checked in here re my problematic laptop.
>
> I would like to know which distro might be supporting sound and wifi (out
> of the box) soon.  I have tried the daily 'experimental Debian but no luck
> so far.  Anybody have any ideas about Mandriva, Suse, Puppy, DSL or any
> other distro that might now or in near future be fully functional on the
> L300??
>
> Any news or updates greatly appreciated.
>
> Daka

I don't know your model - does Toshiba make more than 5 or 6 of any one
model :) My machine is an A215 series with AMD, ATI X1200 video, Atheros
AR5007EG wifi, Phoenix bios.

Never could get the wifi to work right out of the box till I tried the
Fedora 10beta (full release will be later this month) which uses the
2.6.27 series kernel. I think that any distro that uses that kernel will
probably have the Athros wifi problem solved. Suspend, camera, work ok.
Sound partial - Skype still having mic problems. Haven't tried finger
reader - don't like it much - can type my password faster (in Vi$ta).

Several distros, other than the latest Fedora, I've tried seem to have
trouble with the ATI Radeon X1200 video to some extent. I've tried
several live versions that have gone to a black screen or have had some
other video problem. Didn't try to fix it - figured if a live distro
wouldn't boot properly without a lot of fuss, it wasn't for me. Sorry, I
can't remember which ones - Mandriva, Suse, Ubuntu I think. Not home
right now so can't check my disks.

Have Virtualbox on the Vi$ta side of the hard drive and tried Ubuntu
(the one prior to the latest) and OpenSolaris there and encountered same
video problems.

Fred