[tlinux-users 00263] Use 'syndaemon' to disable your touchpad while you are typing - works perfect!

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Dec 10 09:11:58 JST 2008

Listmates:

	Most of you probably already know about this great little utility that
disables the synaptic touchpad when you are typing in KDE (or X-Window
generally). However, I just found out about it, and it is something I have
wanted for a long time for my P205D and P35. syndaemon will disable the laptop
touchpad while you are entering text with the keyboard and then automatically
restores the touchpad within the number of seconds you specify with the -i
option. (default = 2 seconds)

	This feature is already enabled in windows, but I never knew it was also
available for linux. I was always plagued by the cursor jumping 1/2 away from
where I was typing due to accidentally brushing the touchpad with my palm.
Never again.

	The utility 'syndaemon' is part of the xf86/x11-input-synaptics package and is
usually already included with your linux distribution. If not, the driver home
page has links to the latest packages as well as links to work with the ALPS
touchpad. The current release is 0.14.6. Check:

http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/index.html

	To disable the touchpad while typing in KDE use the syndaemon utility directly
from the command line. To use syndaemon with a pid file, first insure you have
write permissions in the directory you specify for the pid file to be created
in. (specified with the -p option) I use the following command line:

	syndaemon -d -p ~/run/syndaemon.pid -K

	To have syndaemon automatically start on login in KDE, create a small script
to launch syndaemon and place the script in your ~/bin directory and then place
a link to that file in ~/.kde/Autostart. You could place the script in the
~/.kde/Autostart directory (or anywhere else for that matter), but as a general
rule, keep your executable scripts where they belong and create links to them
when needed. The script can be as simple as:

#!/bin/bash
[[ -d ~/run ]] || mkdir ~/run
syndaemon -d -p ~/run/syndaemon.pid -K

	Save the script with a reasonable name that you will recognize later. I'll use
'syntpad'. Then make the script executable with 'chmod 0744 syntpad'. Finally,
create a link in .kde/Autostart to execute the script each time you login. From
your ~/bin directory, enter 'ln -s syntpad ~/.kde/Autostart/syntpad' (if using
KDE 4, then use ~/.kde4/Autostart/syntpad as your link. Then simply launch
syndaemon and you will really appreciate the functionality of this little
utility. Never again will your cursor jump 1/2 page up or down because you
accidentally brushed the touchpad while typing.

	Usage and additional options are:

Usage: syndaemon [-i idle-time] [-m poll-delay] [-d] [-t] [-k]
  -i How many seconds to wait after the last key press before
     enabling the touchpad. (default is 2.0s)
  -m How many milli-seconds to wait until next poll.
     (default is 20ms)
  -d Start as a daemon, ie in the background.
  -p Create a pid file with the specified name.
  -t Only disable tapping and scrolling, not mouse movements.
  -k Ignore modifier keys when monitoring keyboard activity.
  -K Like -k but also ignore Modifier+Key combos.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.      |          openSoftware und SystemEntwicklung
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC           |             Countdown for openSuSE 11.1