[tlinux-users 00261] Re: Trouble installing Redhat Linux 5.2

Rex Buddenberg buddenr21 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 11:40:21 JST 2008

David,

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, but I've been having similar
hangs with Fedora 10.  RHEL is, in terms of the installer probably about
equivalent to Fedora 9.  Anaconda is the name of the executable install
script and it has not changed much in the last few years.   Mostly
cosmetics that don't have much to do with this problem.
    Hmmm, does your Toshiba have  64bit CPUs?  That's the version of
RHEL you're trying to install.  The splash screen with initial menu that
you described would work for either 32 or 64 bit, but the kernel boot
would have to be on the correct CPU.  This would be one plausible
explanation...  (Just checked Toshiba's page; says you have two AMD CPUs
but it doesn't say whether they're 32 or 64 bit.)
    The second thing to check is that you have a correct download.  A
bad one is unlikely if you get identical results from both the CD and
DVD versions.  But do the SHA checksums add up right?
    I've had a blank-screen hang at about the place you're describing
with Fedora 10.  On one machine it hung twice and I didn't get
persistent enough to track.  On another machine it hung once, but booted
properly the second time around (and installed cleanly from DVD).
    At the initial menu you describe there are a couple other options
... rescue disk and network-install, if I remember right.  Did you try
either of those?

Did you try any other Linux distributions?  If you have 32 bit CPUs
there are several appropriate to the test.  Personally like Puppy
(version 4.1 is current).