[tlinux-users 00139] Re: Request a new info: fan control documentation for Toshiba A300

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 22:53:12 JST 2008

On 8/12/08, Ilyes Gouta <ilyes.gouta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
> Do you know about a way to ensure that the video card fan is spinning
> under Linux? This is actually on my TODO list to get my Satellite A300
> fully operational under Linux. I certainly don't want the ATI GPU to
> overheat and be plagged by the issues of the current Nvidia's G84 and
> G86 based GPUs.
> You mentioned that the ACPI tables have to be modified. Do you mean
> the DSDT table? What's the entry to be modified?

  Yes, the DSDT tables.  Bear in mind, I'm by no means an expert, but
there are many sources of information regarding Toshiba's buggy DSDT
tables, and guesswork fixes which sometimes work.  Do a simple google
search for Toshiba DSDT and you'll find thousands of posts of people
who have issues with them.  Originally this affected the use of the
sound card, which was eventually fixed, but the fan issue is still by
and large present.

  The crux of the issue is that the nvidia cards are based on an
'MXMish' environment, but the fan itself isn't presented as it's
supposed to be.

  There is no 'one' entry that needs to be modified on the P100
series, the whole thing is garbage, and actually branches it's logic
and performs completely different functions for say, Windows XP or
Vista, then it does when the OS is detected as Linux.

  A quick search for the A100 doesn't reveal many posts at all, so I
think you're safe.

--
-- Thomas