[tlinux-users 00130] Re: Request a new info: fan control documentation for Toshiba A300

Ilyes Gouta ilyes.gouta at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 15:34:21 JST 2008

Hi Tim,

Yes indeed, it worked! I compiled omnibook from trunk and loaded it
using ectype=14 and here is what I got on the kernel console:

omnibook: Driver version 2.20070211-trunk.
omnibook: Forced load with EC type 14.
omnibook: Begin table match of bluetooth feature.
omnibook: Try to init ACPI backend
omnibook: ACPI EC device found
omnibook: Enabling found Toshiba Bluetooth ACPI device.
omnibook: ACPI backend init OK
omnibook: Returning table entry nr 0.
omnibook: BTST raw_state: c1
omnibook: dmi feature has no backend table, io_op not initialized.
omnibook: version feature has no backend table, io_op not initialized.
omnibook: Begin table match of lcd feature.
omnibook: Returning table entry nr 5.
omnibook: Enabled features: bluetooth dmi version lcd.
hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 6
usb 7-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 7-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0930, idProduct=0508
usb 7-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
Bluetooth: HCI USB driver ver 2.9
usbcore: registered new interface driver hci_usb

Now the only remaining issue is the fan control. The fan kicks in as
soon as I boot my laptop and stays spinning loudly all the time. The
fan behaves correctly on Vista, i.e spins and then stops at some
point. I'm running the kernel 2.6.25.11 and have the conservative cpu
governor loaded. Linux detects 4 CPU frequencies for throttling and
have my T8100 running at 800 MHz with a CPU temp of 45°C in average.
With all that, the fan is still spinning...

In the spec. files I received from Toshiba (which are outdated), there
is a function accessible through SCI/HCI which sets the Intel
SpeedStep mode to always_high, always_low and dynamically switchable.
What if it's set to always_high and somehow that is bringing the fan
to spin all the time (even if at some point the operating system
overtake the thermal CPU control through ACPI)?

Any ideas?
I have the latest BIOS update from Toshiba which is ver. 3.60.

Best regards,
Ilyes Gouta.