I had exactly the same problem as you are
now. I'm pleased to report that this laptop
for me, and I love it.
The RedHat, Mandrake and probably many
distributions of linux will just not boot
machine with a default kernel. This is
The Easy Way:
According to other people on the list
the Debian and
SUSE distributions work fine. If you are
linux, then I suggest you download, borrow,
or buy one
of these distros. I haven't used them
wanted Mandrake so I had to fix things
the hard way.
The Hard Way:
The Mandrake install comes with a few
versions of the kernel.. I did get one
of these to
work and do a base install. To do this
you have to go
to "more options" when you first
pop in the CD and it
asks you what you want to do... then I
version 2.2 kernel. All the 2.4 kernels
hung for me.
This let me do a base install of the
Mandrake only installs the 2.4 kernel...
so when I
tried to boot up it would freeze again.
All of the
rescue images that came with mandrake
had the exact
same problem and I could not figure out
how to use the
2.2 kernel that came with mandrake for
than installing the system.
I needed a rescue CD... with a kernel
that worked and
it was a challenge to find one. In hindsight
suggest you try a rescue CD from debian
or SUSE. btw,
if you have a CD burner you can download
disk images you find on the net and burn
them to a CD.
but if you are trying to do this from
you'll need to find the windows versions
or something. I was stuck on this step
days because I couldn't find a CD that
worked and had
what I needed.
Once I got a rescue CD that could boot
the machine I
used the unix command "chroot"
to make it seem like I
had booted my base install of mandrake,
instead of the
rescue CD. I managed to download the latest
kernel source and to get the acpi patch
to match. I
don't know that the acpi patch is required...
suggested by people here and I never tried
The next important step was configuring
I turned off almost everything. then I
standard "make dep; make bzImage;
make modules; make
modules_install;" finally a "make
copies the kernel to the boot area and
runs "lilo" so
that the kernel will boot.
It worked! My system could finally boot
rescue CD. I've spent the time since then
more things in the kernel as I've found
them to be
I'm not sure exactly what option was
causing boot to
fail. The only major change I've made
APM and all the options related to it.
It seems that
as soon as I turn on any of that stuff
my machine can
not boot up.
Again, the hard part here was finding
a rescue CD that
could boot my machine and had enough functionality
me to recompile and install the kernel.